Author: Lynne Bateson
When my partner Bill encounters a bad driver I plead with him not to hoot. “Remember we’re in America,” I say. “They might have a gun.”Read the full story..
The restaurant was buzzing with a smart after-work crowd. The professional looking women on the next table settled their bills. Then they held hands, bowed their heads, and said a prayer before heading home.Read the full story..
I’m just back from the eyeball-hurting, freezing cold of New York where my senses were assaulted by screeching subway trains, honking cars, the pitiful sight of panhandlers on corners, and the smells of garbage and cheap pizza.Read the full story..
When Starbucks announced it would sell wine and craft beers during the evening at some US branches, you would have thought it was opening brothels, not bottles.Read the full story..
Where there’s muck there’s money. A film shoot was going on in our street and the crew paid us to let them squeeze the lavatory trailer onto our drive.Read the full story..
- The Northern Soul Awards 2017: a celebration of culture and enterprise in the North of England
- Northern Soul chats to Richard Littler about Scarfolk, online humour and the absurdity of modern values
- Review: Twelfth Night, Royal Exchange, Manchester
- Michael Rother talks krautrock, NEU! and David Bowie
- Win tickets to the BBC Good Food Show in Harrogate
Northen Soul Awards 2017
The Northern Soul Awards 2017, hosted by Lemn Sissay MBE, will celebrate and reward cultural and artistic excellence in the North of England. Enter now.