Opera Correspondent Robert Hamilton maintains a steady watch over operatic events in the North of England.
When Theresa May signed Article 50 and triggered the start of Brexit, I was reminded of the statement by Richard Mantle, general director of Opera North, on the eve of the referendum in which he spoke of the “enormous talent pool which is Europe” and his fear that isolationism would diminish that pool available to British opera.Read the full story..
As I sat in the bar at Manchester’s Royal Northern College of Music sipping my pre-opera gin, my eye was drawn to a stunning vision of a young Parisian woman in a revealing corset, fishnet tights and courtesan ankle boots.Read the full story..
Robert Hamilton, Northern Soul’s Opera Correspondent, enjoys an outstanding Opera North Autumn season featuring Der Rosenkavalier, Billy Budd, Il tabarro and Suor Angelica at The Lowry in Salford.Read the full story..
As you can imagine, there’s been a right old ding-dong here in the offices of OperaWatch at Northern Soul Towers.Read the full story..
Kiss Me, Kate opens with Another Op’nin’, Another Show, a hymn to hoofers and thespians everywhere.Read the full story..
- The Northern Soul Awards 2017: a celebration of culture and enterprise in the North of England
- Northern Soul chats to Richard Littler about Scarfolk, online humour and the absurdity of modern values
- Review: Twelfth Night, Royal Exchange, Manchester
- Michael Rother talks krautrock, NEU! and David Bowie
- Win tickets to the BBC Good Food Show in Harrogate
Northen Soul Awards 2017
The Northern Soul Awards 2017, hosted by Lemn Sissay MBE, will celebrate and reward cultural and artistic excellence in the North of England. Enter now.