Celebrate World Vegan Month with an Oriental twist from Wing Yip
In a new series, Wing Yip, the Oriental grocery store, shares its expertise with yummy, easy-to-make recipes. World Vegan Day (November 1) kicked off World Vegan Month, so what better time to stock up on all your favourite vegan ingredients and whip up a mouth-watering vegan meal for your friends and family.
Wing Yip has developed a tasty Vegan Ma Po Tofu recipe inspired by a popular dish eaten in South East Asia, that’s not only easy to make but is also bursting with delicious Oriental flavour that is guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family – whether they’re vegan or not.
Tofu, which is high in protein and carbohydrates, combined with spicy Szechuan sauce creates a punchy flavour, while the Asian spices and oils marry together perfectly for a delicious creamy dish.
Vegan Ma Po Tofu
30g dried shiitake mushrooms
200g extra firm tofu
2tsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
1tsp Wing Yip Sesame Oil
2tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
1tsp minced garlic paste
1 jar Wing Yip Spicy Szechuan Sauce
1 packet soft tofu
2 spring onions (fine sliced)
1 red chilli (fine dice)
2. With your hands, gently crumble the extra firm tofu and season with 2tsp light soy and 1 tsp sesame oil.
3. Dice the soft tofu into 1cm cubes (handle gently).
4. Heat oil in a wok and quickly add minced garlic, mushrooms and crumbled extra firm tofu.
5. Stir well with a metal spatula.
6. After 1 minute, when the garlic has started to colour add Wing Yip Spicy Szechuan Sauce and continue cooking for 5 minutes. If you prefer your dish to be quite wet, add some of the reserved mushroom liquid at this stage.
7. Add the diced soft tofu and cook for further 2 minutes, allowing tofu to absorb sauce.
8. Just before removing from the heat gently stir in onions.
9. Garnish with more sliced spring onions and the diced red chilli
10. Serve with boiled rice.
- “Bollocks to that, we’ll do it here.” The Fall’s Paul Hanley talks about his history of Manchester music
- “You’re being paid to have fun and to laugh and be daft and stupid.” John Barrowman talks to Northern Soul
- Henry Normal: What Manchester Gave Me
- Win a Michelin-star dinner at Don Giovanni in Manchester this Christmas
Northen Soul Awards 2017
Congratulations to all the winners at the Northern Soul Awards 2017. It was a cracking night. For the full list, click here http://awards.northernsoul.me.uk/2017-winners
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
We went to this yesterday and it was brilliant. Get along today if you can. facebook.com/artscathedral/…
Paul Hanley will be taking part in special Q&A at Manchester Central Library on December 2nd. Tickets are free but you must register. More details at librarylive.co.uk/event/libra…
Poem for the Weekend: Uninvited Guests by Gill Lambert (chosen by our Poetry Correspondent Wendy Pratt) pic.twitter.com/aj6PSf6iJx
Henry Normal: What Manchester Gave Me Ooh but we've got some proper good columnists on Northern Soul. Here's the latest article by Henry Normal, he of Paul Calf, Mrs Merton, Gavin & Stacey, The Mighty Boosh, Alan Partridge, Red Dwarf etc etc. northernsoul.me.uk/henry-norm… pic.twitter.com/3PBi1RbKKD