The Northern Soul End of Year Quiz: 2018
As it’s the season of goodwill, we have decided to give you the chance to test your Northern knowledge again with the annual Northern Soul End Of Year Quiz. There are no prizes, just the chance to appear brighter and more switched on than your family and friends (answers are at the bottom). Many thanks to Margaret Brecknell for setting this quiz.
1. Which Bury-born footballer scored England’s only goal in July’s 3-1 World Cup semi-final defeat to Croatia?
2. A sculpture of which suffragette was unveiled in Manchester recently?
3. Which horse won this year’s Grand National at Aintree?
4. Jodie Whittaker’s first episode as Doctor Who was set in which Northern city?
5. Who is the Manchester poet best known for This Is The Place?
6. Which Fleetwood-born tenor switched on this year’s Blackpool Illuminations?
7. Which steam locomotive, designed by Robert Stephenson in 1829, was a popular visitor attraction at this summer’s Great Exhibition of the North?
8. Which former MP for Liverpool Walton is the current Metro Mayor of Liverpool?
9. Who won this year’s Great North Run elite men’s race for a record fifth year in a row?
10. Sir Mark Elder is the Music Director of which Manchester-based orchestra ?
11. Which Cumbrian-born novelist and broadcaster presents the Radio 4 discussion programme In Our Time?
12. The Hatton Gallery is situated on which university’s campus?
13. Marcelo Bielsa is currently manager of which Championship football club?
14. The National Railway Museum is based in which Northern city?
15. The Making Himself Claire exhibition at Liverpool’s Walker Art Gallery featured the dresses of which Turner Prize winner?
16. The World Black Pudding Throwing Championships are held annually in which Northern town?
17. A painting by which Bradford-born artist recently broke the auction record for a work by a living artist (it sold for just over £70 million)?
18. Which iconic speed machine has been brought back to life more than 50 years after it crashed on Coniston Water, killing pilot Donald Campbell?
19. The famous second-hand bookshop Barter Books is located in which Northumbrian town’s former railway station?
20. Which half of a famous comedy double act from Rotherham died this year?
21. The Giants returned to which city in October?
22. Who directed the 2018 film Peterloo based on the events of the Peterloo Massacre in Manchester?
23. Which Burnley-born cricketer became the most successful fast bowler in Test Match history in September?
24. Which seaside resort is home to the Atkinson Gallery?
25. This year’s Northern Soul Awards were held in which historic location?
1. Kieran Trippier
2. Emmeline Pankhurst
3. Tiger Roll
5. Tony Walsh
6. Alfie Boe
8. Steve Rotheram
9. Mo Farah
10. Halle Orchestra
11. Melvyn Bragg
12. Newcastle University
13. Leeds United
15. Grayson Perry
17. David Hockney
20. Barry Chuckle
22. Mike Leigh
23. James Anderson
25. Manchester Cathedral
- “I do love a bit of Northern Soul.” We talk to Tim Burgess ahead of The Charlatans’ 30th anniversary tour
- Book Club: Northern Soul’s Right Good Reads
- “Nothing is too nerdy.” The modernist magazine celebrates 10 years and 40 issues
- Review: British Textile Biennial 2021
- Exhibition: Behind the Seams, Preston Park Museum, Stockton-on-Tees
Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities contact Northern Soul’s Founder and Editor Helen Hugent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
The New Light Collection is available for loan to schools, hospitals, prisons and other public bodies and charities across the region. For more information, visit: newlight-art.org.uk Image: Robinson, Annie - Recollections II pic.twitter.com/J9mO0yWnZS
An art collection, which aims to get the very best of contemporary art out of the gallery and into the community, has been launched by New Light, a charity supporting artists throughout the North of England. @newlightart Image: Brooks, Ian - Across Borge Bay pic.twitter.com/IGHAcKTgdo