The Northern Soul End of Year Quiz: 2015
How’s your Northern knowledge? With just a few days until 2015 draws to a close, let’s see how much you can recall about the year – and we’ll also test your general Northern trivia. No prizes, just a lovely feeling of smugness when you get them all right (answers will be posted on Northern Soul at the end of week). No googling allowed….
- Which ‘monster’ Hollywood film released in 2015 was filmed in and around Manchester Town Hall?
- Which Northern football team narrowly avoided regulation from the Premiership back in May?
- In what month did HOME, the new arts centre in Manchester, open?
- What does a ‘Wigan Kebab’ consist of?
- Which Northern town is home to the Clarets?
- Which Northern institution won the Art Fund Prize for 2015 Museum of the Year?
- Who won the New Light Prize with her Sheffield painting Broken Brutalism?
- In which city was Vimto invented in 1908?
- Which city is home to the North’s first ‘cat café’
- Who stars in the second series of Manchester drama Prey?
- Which Yorkshire poet published a book called Walking Away earlier this year?
- Who is the Minister for the Northern Powerhouse?
- Which Northern city won its first Michelin star this year? (a bonus point for the name of the restaurant)
- Which American painter was the subject of a major exhibition at Tate Liverpool during the Summer?
- Which author won the 2015 Bad Sex Award for his debut novel?
- Which Burnley-born Knight led the 2015 Manchester Pride Parade?
- Where is the UK’s premier documentary festival held each year?
- Who died in January after appearing in Coronation Street for more than 40 years?
- Who headlined the Leeds Festival this year? (bonus point for naming all three headliners)
- During the Summer, which politician called Conservative plans for a Northern Powerhouse a “cruel deception”?
- Which football manager stormed out of a press conference earlier this month?
- Which comedian spent the night in his Range Rover after being caught in floods in Cumbria?
- Where did Nadiya Hussain, the 2015 winner of The Great British Bake Off, live during the filming of the show? (her actual home, not the tent…)
- Where is the oldest free public reference library in the country and what is it called?
- Where is the Brontë Parsonage Museum? (bonus point if you know what the Brontë family’s original surname was – the father Patrick changed it)
Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities contact Northern Soul’s Founder and Editor Helen Hugent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
"Hill’s performance is ruthlessly unsentimental." Northern Soul's Theatre Editor Chris Wallis reviews Glee and Me at Manchester's @rxtheatre and awards five stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 northernsoul.me.uk/theatre-re… pic.twitter.com/8uW5zRza5U
British music icons Duran Duran delighted fans with a momentous outdoor show on the Yorkshire Coast. Northern Soul photographer Marc McGarraghy (@YellowMustangMM ) saw the band at @ScarboroughOAT. Click the link for the full gallery of images: northernsoul.me.uk/photo-gall… pic.twitter.com/p8W7dET8fX
@AdamJFarrer I have a cat who is a ferocious hunter and regularly wakes me up in the night by slapping me across the face. She's afraid of cat flaps, blankets, plastic bags, my tummy rumbling, and anything on TV that's not Foyle's War.