The Northern Soul End of Year Quiz: 2015
How’s your Northern knowledge? With just a few days until 2015 draws to a close, let’s see how much you can recall about the year – and we’ll also test your general Northern trivia. No prizes, just a lovely feeling of smugness when you get them all right (answers will be posted on Northern Soul at the end of week). No googling allowed….
- Which ‘monster’ Hollywood film released in 2015 was filmed in and around Manchester Town Hall?
- Which Northern football team narrowly avoided regulation from the Premiership back in May?
- In what month did HOME, the new arts centre in Manchester, open?
- What does a ‘Wigan Kebab’ consist of?
- Which Northern town is home to the Clarets?
- Which Northern institution won the Art Fund Prize for 2015 Museum of the Year?
- Who won the New Light Prize with her Sheffield painting Broken Brutalism?
- In which city was Vimto invented in 1908?
- Which city is home to the North’s first ‘cat café’
- Who stars in the second series of Manchester drama Prey?
- Which Yorkshire poet published a book called Walking Away earlier this year?
- Who is the Minister for the Northern Powerhouse?
- Which Northern city won its first Michelin star this year? (a bonus point for the name of the restaurant)
- Which American painter was the subject of a major exhibition at Tate Liverpool during the Summer?
- Which author won the 2015 Bad Sex Award for his debut novel?
- Which Burnley-born Knight led the 2015 Manchester Pride Parade?
- Where is the UK’s premier documentary festival held each year?
- Who died in January after appearing in Coronation Street for more than 40 years?
- Who headlined the Leeds Festival this year? (bonus point for naming all three headliners)
- During the Summer, which politician called Conservative plans for a Northern Powerhouse a “cruel deception”?
- Which football manager stormed out of a press conference earlier this month?
- Which comedian spent the night in his Range Rover after being caught in floods in Cumbria?
- Where did Nadiya Hussain, the 2015 winner of The Great British Bake Off, live during the filming of the show? (her actual home, not the tent…)
- Where is the oldest free public reference library in the country and what is it called?
- Where is the Brontë Parsonage Museum? (bonus point if you know what the Brontë family’s original surname was – the father Patrick changed it)
- Picture Gallery: An Unprecedented Year by Rob Pointon, Contemporary Six, Manchester
- “They’ve taken me under their wing.” Chef Dane Smart talks about Manchester’s Molly House and its new menu
- Good News in Focus: Gail Myerscough, a surface pattern designer and illustrator
- The Dinesh Allirajah Prize for Short Fiction 2021
Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities contact Northern Soul’s Founder and Editor Helen Hugent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
Need a distraction from the news? Well, @RedHouseGallery, Harrogate has launched a new group exhibition, RESET, featuring emerging painters, printmakers and sculptors alongside established international bluechip artists. northernsoul.me.uk/image-gall… pic.twitter.com/jIwdnbWlGF
"Your worst enemy in this game is indifference." Northern Soul's Andy Murray chats to John Cooper Clarke about his brand-new autobiography, I Wanna Be Yours. @MrGeetsRomo @official_jcc @picadorbooks northernsoul.me.uk/your-worst… pic.twitter.com/gWmwSWErse
"This chart brings us closer to the mainstream." Manchester launches the Official Folk Albums Chart 🎵🎶 @englishfolkexpo @McrFolkFest @bourke2Dfuture northernsoul.me.uk/this-chart… pic.twitter.com/o1TwTy3x7W