You know you’re Up North when…
- Someone calls you ‘luv’ and you don’t sue them for sexual harassment.
- You can afford to live in a house with a garden.
- It’s raining.
- No-one thinks Boris Johnson is a ‘lovable buffoon’. They just think he’s a twat.
- The word ‘scone’ rhymes with ‘gone’ (not ‘cone’).
- You announce that you fancy a ‘chip muff’, and nobody laughs.
- You think an oyster is a small mollusc.
- Your mum rings you up to tell you what she’s had for her tea.
- There’s nowhere else you’d rather be.
- It’s still bloody raining.
- Johnny Vegas, Sarah Millican and Ross Noble make you laugh…Michael McIntyre, Miranda Hart and Jimmy Carr don’t.
- You’re on first name terms with your neighbours (you might even have been to their house!).
- Chips come with gravy, not mayo.
- Rugby is game played by a team of 13 men (not 15 public schoolboys).
- You know what the phrase ‘skriking in’t ginnel’ means.
By Jo Dearden
If you have anything to add to the list, please email Stephanie Alderson at email@example.com
The Northern Soul Awards 2018
The Northern Soul Awards 2018 took place at the stunning Manchester Cathedral on November 15. Here’s our list of winners, along with the Highly Commended and Special Mentions for each category. Congratulations!
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
The Editor of Northern Soul, @nugehelen is chairing this event tonight. Get yerself down there to see the splendiferous @caitlinmoran - she'll make you laugh, cry and maybe even take your top off... twitter.com/caitlinmoran/s…
"it makes for some striking sights, such as a huddle of off-duty Death Eaters having a crafty fag by the entrance" Review: DraigCon 2019, Manchester Printworks northernsoul.me.uk/review-dra… #HarryPotter @MCRPrintworks @MrGeetsRomo pic.twitter.com/jNOxoWZRC3
Literally no words. pic.twitter.com/HupLSuf5c6