Wing Yip’s Freshers’ Week Oriental Noodle Pot
In a new series, Wing Yip, the Oriental grocery store, shares its expertise with yummy, easy-to-make recipes. This week it celebrates the nationwide student Freshers’ Week.
Freshers’ Week Oriental Noodle Pot
With Freshers’ Week in full swing, it’s time to start thinking about simple meal ideas that rival an expensive takeaway pizza but are easy to make, affordable and tasty. This recipe for Tom Yum Rice Vermicelli Noodle Pot from Wing Yip is bursting with Oriental flavours and has a super spicy kick – what’s more, it can be easily prepared in advance, ready to enjoy the following day.
This recipe contains Mai Siam’s Tom Yum Paste, rice noodles and plenty of fresh veggies – a real hit of flavour that’s sure to get anyone ready to face the rest of the day (or lecture…).
Tom Yum Rice Vermicelli Noodle Pot
1 tbsp Mai Siam Tom Yum Paste
40g Rice Noodles
½ Red Bell Pepper, cut into slices
½ Beef Tomato, cut into wedges
½ Red Chilli, finely sliced
½ stalk lemongrass
2 lime wedges
1 tsp Coriander, finely chopped
1 x 0.5 Litre Clip Top Jar
- Place the Tom Yum paste into the bottom of the jar first and then add all ingredients, except for the garnish, into the jar.
- Wrap the garnish ingredients in cling film and place at the top of the jar and then close the lid. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
- Boil the kettle and remove the garnish from the jar. Once the water has boiled, fill the jar to just below the neck and carefully stir all the ingredients together. Lock the lid and leave for two minutes. After two minutes, carefully stir the ingredients again and close the lid for another minute.
- Check that the noodles are cooked through and that the paste has fully dissolved, adding more boiled water if necessary.
- Carefully remove the lemongrass stalks and then add the garnish ingredients. Serve immediately.
- “Come for the machetes, stay for the political insights.” Author David Nolan talks to Northern Soul about his new book
- Photo Gallery: The Fenwick Christmas Window, Newcastle
- Good News in Focus: Manchester Camerata
- “There remains a perception that people in the North wear cloth caps and go off to the mill.” Campaigner and former chief prosecutor Nazir Afzal
Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities contact Northern Soul’s Founder and Editor Helen Hugent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
Covid Tiers explained: Tier 1 - Pints Tier 2 - Pints with chips Tier 3 - No Pints
From the archives: The current COVID-19 pandemic may see us turning to the big names to secure our reading fix but there are smaller businesses in our region which desperately need our support. This #BlackFriday, why not buy from Northern Indies instead? northernsoul.me.uk/how-are-in… pic.twitter.com/UFbXkmdxmB
“Come for the machetes, stay for the political insights.” Author David Nolan talks to Northern Soul's Andy Murray about his new book, The Mermaid's Pool. northernsoul.me.uk/david-nola…
@CathyCrabb Hey there - did you get my email?