Celebrate World Vegan Month with an Oriental twist from Wing Yip
In a new series, Wing Yip, the Oriental grocery store, shares its expertise with yummy, easy-to-make recipes. World Vegan Day (November 1) kicked off World Vegan Month, so what better time to stock up on all your favourite vegan ingredients and whip up a mouth-watering vegan meal for your friends and family.
Wing Yip has developed a tasty Vegan Ma Po Tofu recipe inspired by a popular dish eaten in South East Asia, that’s not only easy to make but is also bursting with delicious Oriental flavour that is guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family – whether they’re vegan or not.
Tofu, which is high in protein and carbohydrates, combined with spicy Szechuan sauce creates a punchy flavour, while the Asian spices and oils marry together perfectly for a delicious creamy dish.
Vegan Ma Po Tofu
30g dried shiitake mushrooms
200g extra firm tofu
2tsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
1tsp Wing Yip Sesame Oil
2tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
1tsp minced garlic paste
1 jar Wing Yip Spicy Szechuan Sauce
1 packet soft tofu
2 spring onions (fine sliced)
1 red chilli (fine dice)
2. With your hands, gently crumble the extra firm tofu and season with 2tsp light soy and 1 tsp sesame oil.
3. Dice the soft tofu into 1cm cubes (handle gently).
4. Heat oil in a wok and quickly add minced garlic, mushrooms and crumbled extra firm tofu.
5. Stir well with a metal spatula.
6. After 1 minute, when the garlic has started to colour add Wing Yip Spicy Szechuan Sauce and continue cooking for 5 minutes. If you prefer your dish to be quite wet, add some of the reserved mushroom liquid at this stage.
7. Add the diced soft tofu and cook for further 2 minutes, allowing tofu to absorb sauce.
8. Just before removing from the heat gently stir in onions.
9. Garnish with more sliced spring onions and the diced red chilli
10. Serve with boiled rice.
- “Come for the machetes, stay for the political insights.” Author David Nolan talks to Northern Soul about his new book
- Photo Gallery: The Fenwick Christmas Window, Newcastle
- Good News in Focus: Manchester Camerata
- “There remains a perception that people in the North wear cloth caps and go off to the mill.” Campaigner and former chief prosecutor Nazir Afzal
Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities contact Northern Soul’s Founder and Editor Helen Hugent at email@example.com.
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
Covid Tiers explained: Tier 1 - Pints Tier 2 - Pints with chips Tier 3 - No Pints
From the archives: The current COVID-19 pandemic may see us turning to the big names to secure our reading fix but there are smaller businesses in our region which desperately need our support. This #BlackFriday, why not buy from Northern Indies instead? northernsoul.me.uk/how-are-in… pic.twitter.com/UFbXkmdxmB
“Come for the machetes, stay for the political insights.” Author David Nolan talks to Northern Soul's Andy Murray about his new book, The Mermaid's Pool. northernsoul.me.uk/david-nola…
@CathyCrabb Hey there - did you get my email?