Recipe: Hawksmoor’s Ox Cheek Cottage Pie
Hawksmoor has become something of a restaurant institution. More than a decade since opening the doors of its first steakhouse in London’s Spitalfields, the masters of meat have combined their tasty recipes in a cookery book so diners can attempt to master signature dishes from the comfort of their own kitchens.
The award-winning restaurant shares its delicious recipe for Ox Cheek Cottage Pie with Northern Soul.
Hawksmoor’s Ox Cheek Cottage Pie
for the ox cheek
1kg ox cheek
fine sea salt and cracked black pepper
25g plain flour
40g onions, finely chopped 1 clove garlic, chopped 90ml red wine
250ml beef jus or stock
for the mash
500g Desiree potatoes, chopped 60g butter
250ml double cream Maldon sea salt
for the pie
4 x 5cm pieces of centre cut bone marrow (1 per person)
120g carrots 120g celeriac
600ml remaining cooking liquid, topped up with bone marrow gravy
30g toasted breadcrumbs fresh horseradish, for grating
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/gas 1. trim the ox cheek of any fat and sinew and season with cracked black pepper and fine sea salt. Flour the ox cheek and sear in a hot pan until golden all over. Drain and set aside.
2. add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté until soft. Deglaze with the red wine, then add the beef jus and the ox cheek and bring to the boil.
3. transfer to a dish with a lid and place in the oven for 3–4 hours, until tender. Remove the ox cheek, break into smallish pieces and set aside. Pour any leftover liquid into a jug and make up to 600ml with gravy.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Put the bone marrow on an oven tray and place in the oven for 12–15 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside.
5. Dice the carrots and celeriac into roughly 1cm pieces. Cook them in boiling salted water until tender, then refresh in ice-cold water and set aside.
6. Place the chopped potatoes in cold water seasoned with salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until cooked
through. Drain the potatoes and air-dry in a colander before passing them through a potato ricer. Put the butter and double cream in a saucepan
and heat until reduced by half, then fold into the potato puree and season to taste.
7. to assemble the pie, place a piece of bone marrow in the centre of each individual pie dish, or arrange around one larger dish if making a family pie. Place the hot meat, veg and gravy around the marrow, then pipe the mash on top. Glaze under the grill until golden brown, and finish with the toasted breadcrumbs and freshly grated horseradish.
Hawksmoor: Restaurants & Recipes by Huw Gott and Will Beckett is out now published by Preface, £30
The Northern Soul Awards 2018
The Northern Soul Awards 2018 took place at the stunning Manchester Cathedral on November 15. Here’s our list of winners, along with the Highly Commended and Special Mentions for each category. Congratulations!
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
The Editor of Northern Soul, @nugehelen is chairing this event tonight. Get yerself down there to see the splendiferous @caitlinmoran - she'll make you laugh, cry and maybe even take your top off... twitter.com/caitlinmoran/s…
"it makes for some striking sights, such as a huddle of off-duty Death Eaters having a crafty fag by the entrance" Review: DraigCon 2019, Manchester Printworks northernsoul.me.uk/review-dra… #HarryPotter @MCRPrintworks @MrGeetsRomo pic.twitter.com/jNOxoWZRC3
Literally no words. pic.twitter.com/HupLSuf5c6