Photo Gallery: GinnelWatch – time to show us your ginnels!
We love a good ginnel at Northern Soul. But, depending on where you’re from, there are all sorts of words for what essentially amounts to an alleyway, including jennel, snicket, vennel, gennel, jitty, jetty and our new favourite…a weind.
We’ve had some seriously great images – and not to mention sparked a few online conversations about what constitutes a ginnel – from Staithes, Altrincham, Knaresborough, Burnley and, erm, Athens.
Oh, and did you know the Northern Soul Awards are coming up in November? We’re going to be deciding which of your images will be crowned Ginnel of the Year as part of this year’s celebration.
So, what are you waiting for? Get those cameras out and #ShowUsYourGinnels.
(Main image: Burnley ginnel by Pete Hall)
- “There’s nothing as exciting as sitting in the audience, waiting for the curtain to open.” Northern Soul talks to Mark Williams
- Poetry Review: Where the Road Runs Out by Gaia Holmes
- Theatre Review: A Christmas Carol, Playhouse, Liverpool
- Bedrooms, Bus Stops and Boredom: Remembering Pete Shelley
- “At my best, I lose myself in my writing.” Melvyn Bragg talks to Northern Soul
The Northern Soul Awards 2018
The Northern Soul Awards 2018 took place at the stunning Manchester Cathedral on November 15. Here’s our list of winners, along with the Highly Commended and Special Mentions for each category. Congratulations!
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
"a rare and singular talent who belongs in the upper echelons of contemporary Artists to Keep Tabs On" Northern Soul's @MrGeetsRomo reviews Julia Holter, Gorilla, Manchester northernsoul.me.uk/review-jul… pic.twitter.com/ExUkgOGZAQ