Recipes to spice up your Christmas from Wing Yip: Kung Po Turkey with Oriental Stuffing
If you’re anything like the team at Northern Soul, you’ve probably commenced the countdown to Christmas.
This year, Wing Yip, the UK’s largest oriental grocer, has put together a selection of Christmas recipes to fill your kitchen with mouth-watering aromas. So, if you’re looking to spice up your festive feast this year, why not mix things up with some new flavours to add a twist to your traditional Christmas dinner?
This week, we’ve got a delicious recipe for Kung Po Turkey with Oriental Stuffing.
Kung Po Turkey with Oriental Stuffing
2tbsp peanut oil
85g Chinese sausage or chorizo (finely sliced)
28g dried sliced mushrooms (soaked and chopped)
1tbsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
1tbsp Wing Yip Oyster Sauce
1tsp ginger juice (from grated fresh ginger)
2tbsp black rice vinegar
228g jasmine rice, washed and drained
170ml vegetable stock
1 cocktail stick
1-2tsp five spice powder
Salt for seasoning
6-8 star anise
2-3 cinnamon sticks
185ml jar Wing Yip Kung Po Sauce
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok and fry the sausage and mushrooms. Lightly season with Light Soy, Oyster Sauce, ginger juice and black vinegar, then remove from heat.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove the rice mixture and place in a pot. Add the vegetable stock. Cook on a medium-high heat initially and, when holes appear in the rice, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover and allow to continue cooking in its own steam for approximately 10 minutes.
- When rice mixture is cooked, allow to cool and then stuff the neck of the turkey, pressing firmly into place. Secure the neck flap with a cocktail stick.
- Rub body of the turkey with five spice powder and season the skin with salt. Place star anise and cinnamon inside the cavity and cook to instruction on packaging.
- Thirty minutes before the turkey is ready, remove and using a pastry brush baste in a thick layer of Wing Yip Kung Po Sauce.
- Continue cooking and once cooked, remove from oven and serve.
Wing Yip has four superstores located in Birmingham, Manchester, Cricklewood and Croydon, and an online shop at wingyip.com.
Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities contact Northern Soul’s Founder and Editor Helen Hugent at email@example.com.
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
Love this. After Life bench comes to Wythenshawe Park as part of mental health initiative ilovemanchester.com/after-lif…
“An enduring and unique legacy.” Artistic Director Jason Wood writes about Derek Jarman ahead of a retrospective at Manchester’s HOME. northernsoul.me.uk/jason-wood… @jwoodfilm @HOME_mcr pic.twitter.com/mwvHswOXlo
Squeeeee! Filming begins on final series of Happy Valley, as new and returning cast are announced bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20…
Right Good Mid-Week Read: The Letters of John Keats (side note: this book smells fantastic) pic.twitter.com/Rkgrbm06mA