The Northern Soul World Cup Quiz
With the World Cup Finals in Russia rapidly approaching, here’s a chance to warm up for the tournament with the Northern Soul World Cup Quiz.
There are no prizes, just the chance to appear more footie savvy than your family and friends (answers are at the bottom…no sneaking a peak).
- In which year did England take part in the World Cup for the first time?
- Who was England’s goalkeeper in the 1966 World Cup Final?
- Who captained Germany to World Cup success in 1974?
- What was the name of the cartoon lion used as mascot for the 1966 World Cup?
- Which Everton goalkeeper has been named in the England squad for Russia 2018?
- Which country hosted and won the first World Cup in 1930?
- Who captained England at the 2002 and 2006 World Cup Finals?
- The 1966 World Cup Semi Finals were held at Wembley and which other ground?
- Which French footballer was sent off in the 2006 World Cup Final?
- Who is the young Liverpool defender named in the England squad for Russia 2018?
- Which English referee took charge of the 2010 Final?
- Where will the 2022 Finals be held?
- Which country defeated Brazil 7-1 in the 2014 Semi Final?
- Which Englishman was top scorer at the Mexico 1986 tournament?
- Burnley’s Johann Berg Gudmundsson will represent which country at Russia 2018?
- Which 17 year old Brazilian scored in the 1958 World Cup Final?
- Who was England’s manager at Italia 90?
- Which country hosted the 1994 World Cup Finals?
- Who was Egypt’s top scorer during qualification for the 2018 World Cup?
- Which German player is all-time top scorer at the World Cup Finals?
- Panama, Tunisia and which other country will compete against England in the group stage at this year’s Finals?
- Who captained England at the 2010 and 2014 World Cup Finals?
- Who is the youngest player to appear at the World Cup Finals?
- Sergio Aguero will represent which country at Russia 2018?
- Who is the only player to score a hat trick in a World Cup Final?
- Gordon Banks
- Franz Beckenbauer
- World Cup Willie
- Jordan Pickford
- David Beckham
- Goodison Park
- Zinedine Zidane
- Trent Alexander-Arnold
- Howard Webb
- Gary Lineker
- Bobby Robson
- Mo Salah
20. Miroslav Klose
22. Steven Gerrard
23. Norman Whiteside
25. Geoff Hurst
Main image: National Football Museum
- Tastes of Honey: Shelagh Delaney biographer Selina Todd talks to Northern Soul
- “I write the books that shout loudest in my head.” Northern Soul talks to crime author Val McDermid
- “I think kids like to see an old bloke behaving disgracefully.” Steve Delaney talks Twitter, telly and being Count Arthur Strong
The Northern Soul Awards 2018
The Northern Soul Awards 2018 took place at the stunning Manchester Cathedral on November 15. Here’s our list of winners, along with the Highly Commended and Special Mentions for each category. Congratulations!
Sign up for Northern Soul newsletter
The Northern Soul Poll
Recent Tweets for @Northern_Soul_
“There was always this kind of sense with Shelagh that if she was going to make it, she’d have to go to London and that’s a shame." Shelagh Delaney biographer Selina Todd talks to Northern Soul's @MrGeetsRomo northernsoul.me.uk/tastes-of-… #Salford pic.twitter.com/iFtX7iiG8L
“I write the books that shout loudest in my head.” Northern Soul's @dannyxmoran talks to crime author Val McDermid at @HarrogateFest as her latest chiller, How The Dead Speak, is published. northernsoul.me.uk/i-write-th… pic.twitter.com/6hUwMq2d7D
Tastes of Honey: Shelagh Delaney biographer Selina Todd talks to Northern Soul northernsoul.me.uk/tastes-of-… @MrGeetsRomo @selina_todd @ChattoBooks #ShelaghDelaney #books @NationalTheatre @The_Lowry pic.twitter.com/QCjKKbnbek
@NicolaSturgeon “I write the books that shout loudest in my head.” Northern Soul's @dannyxmoran talks to crime author Val McDermid at the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival northernsoul.me.uk/i-write-th… pic.twitter.com/iYsrUq7TPH